12/12/2010

Book Review: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

I enjoyed my read (or re-read, not sure which) of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson last week on my Kindle. It was one of their freebies that I downloaded. The nineteenth-century atmospheric writing lent a certain ghoulishness to the story, which I liked. Stevenson was very adept with adjectives and in his descriptions of the emotional turmoil that the characters in the story underwent. I realized that even though I knew what the use of the Jekyll/Hyde syndrome means in modern parlance, I'd never read the story or, at least, I hadn't read it in a long time. It's a good psychological study of a character in the process of disintegration, a moody mystery, and provides good insight into how people's personalities can encompass good and evil in the same persona. Highly recommended.

1 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger Want Some Wood said...

I'll have to read that sometime myself...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home